DECP Digital Book Tutorials
The following tutorials are Flash videos showing how to Activate and access your book. Each video can be paused and reviewed as many times as needed.
|If working with a Mac: |
1. For first use ONLY, double-click FlexiReaderMac.zip to reveal FlexiReaderMac.
2. From then on, run FlexiReaderMac to play the book
3. If you wish to have an Alias on your desktop, or prefer a different icon, check these links to Apple pages.
|WebTracking local app (for students)||WebTracking WebApp (for students)|
|How to purchase and activate a book (WebApp)||How to activate a book (Local app)|
|How to add a Home Screen icon (iPad) (PDF)||Settng up eCommerce with FastSpring (PDF)|
About these tutorialsThere are more tutorials about using and creating BookOn products, here
If using an iOS device (Apple iPad, iPod, etc...) and cannot view these tutorials, please go to our YouTube Channel and try those:
DEC Publishing YouTube Channel
1. How do I buy a digital product?
Purchase the book from the product page, upon which time we will be automatically assigned a Keycode and a link to a webpage where you can activate your digital product. Once activated, you will be able to open and read your book at any time, on all your devices.
2. How can I see my digital product?
There are two ways you can view the product you have purchased; 1) WebApp and 2) LocalApp. The WebApp is used to view the product on any mobile device such as an iPad, tablet or smart phone. The LocalApp is used to download the product onto your computer (Win/Mac) and is a version you can keep, not only access.
3. What is the WebApp?
The WebApp is used to view your product on any mobile device. If you have a smart phone, iPad, tablet or similar mobile device you can view your product by using the WebApp. Please note, you will need to be connected to the internet in order to view your product using the WebApp.
4. What is the LocalApp?
The LocalApp is used to download the product onto your computer. Once you have activated your product you no longer need to be connected to the internet. You can view your book at any time. There are two kinds of LocalApps you can use, the first one is ‘WinEXE’ and the second one is ‘Win/Mac’. If you are using Microsoft Windows you can view your product by clicking on the ‘WinEXE’ button. Using this method means you don’t need to decompress any files, as it will be installed onto your computer. You can choose the location and whether you would like to have an icon on your desktop. Alternatively, if you are using Microsoft Windows or a Macintosh (Apple) computer, you can download the book onto your computer using the ‘Win/Mac’ button. This is a ZIP file, which needs to be opened and the files extracted.
5. How do I open my book for the first time using the WebApp?
To open, or activate, your book for the first time using the WebApp you will need an internet connection and remember you can do this from any mobile device!
- Please click on the icon under WebApp that reads ‘Activate’.
- You will be asked to enter your first name, last name, email address and Keycode.
- If your activation is successful you will be asked to Login using your email address and a password of your choice. Please note, next time you want to read your book you can simply Login using your email address and password, but don’t forget your password as we cannot retrieve it for you!
- You now have full access to your book! Next time you want to read, simply click on the ‘Read’ icon under WebApp and login, or alternatively use the LocalApp and download the book onto your computer.
- You can add an icon onto your Home Screen for this WebApp.
6. How do I open my book for the first time using the LocalApp?
- Download the product onto your computer by clicking on either the ‘WinEXE’ or the ‘Win/Mac’ buttons. It is a good idea to Save the product somewhere on your computer where it is easily accessible, like your Desktop for example.
- After you have downloaded and saved the product to your computer, double-click on the book icon. If the book has been saved somewhere in your computer then you will need to locate the correct folder and double click the ‘BookOnReader’ file within the folder.
- The book opens but it is still in demonstration mode so only part of the book is accessible. We need to unlock your book with the Keycode you have received. Click ‘OK’.
- If WebTracking is included with your product, click ‘OK’.
- Next, click ‘Help’ on the navigation bar at the top.
- Click on the option that reads ‘Activate Product’.
- Fill in the form with your name, email address and the Keycode you received after purchasing the product. Click ‘Continue’.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- Your book is now unlocked. Close the window.
- Your registration details appear. Click ‘OK’ and enjoy your book!
7. What is a Keycode and why do I need it?
The Keycode is your unique code to access your product. You will need it to open, or Activate, your product for the first time on separate devices or computers. When entering your Keycode please ensure it is entered correctly. We recommend you copy and paste the Keycode directly into the form field.
8. What can I do if I forget my password?
We do not collect personal data on users, so we cannot retrieve your password if lost. Please make note of your password, in a secure location.
9. I cannot Activate my product. (Activation Error message)
Please ensure your first and last names are written in Roman alphabet characters and that your name is at least two characters long. Your email address should be at least eight characters long. To ensure your Keycode is inputted correctly we recommend you copy and paste the Keycode directly into the Activation form field. If you are activating your product for a second time on a different device or computer please make sure the product is not already open. You will need to close down the product fully before you can activate it again on a separate mobile device or computer. you must be sure that the information is entered the same as previously entered. This information will be checked (by our servers) against the previous activation. This also ensures that your unique keycode cannot be used by someone else.
10. How many times can I activate my product?
Your product can be activated a maximum of 2 times. That means you can activate the product on 2 different computers (desktop and laptop) and your mobile devices. There is no limit to the mobile devices you can read your book on. If you have an iPad and a smart phone, you can use both. If you have an Android device next year, you can still use the book! You are not locked to one device. We suggest activating one computer (Local App) and keeping the extra activation for emergencies (ie. hard drive failure, new computer, etc…).
11. I want to read my product again. What should I do?
If you have already Activated the product using the WebApp click ‘Read’ from the link you were given after purchasing the product. You will need to login using your email address and password you entered upon Activating the product for the first time.
If you have already downloaded the product to your computer using the LocalApp then simply click on the Book icon you saved to your desktop or other place on your computer (this file may be contained within the folder you originally downloaded so you will need to find it!). Once the Local App has been activated, you can open and read anytime you wish. You now possess the book, just as you would a print book.
12. Why can’t I login to read my book? (Login Error message)
Your product is directly linked to your email address and password. If either of these do not match exactly with the email address and password you entered on first logging in, you will not be able to view your book. Please ensure your email address and password is inputted correctly. This is a safety measure for you, as well as for us. We need to make sure that you are the person accessing this book. If there is WebTracking (for tests within the book), this also ensures that the results will be credited to you, and only you!
13. How can I view my product on iPad / Kindle Fire / tablet?
After purchase we will send you a link. You will need to access this link using your iPad / Kindle Fire / tablet. On accessing this link your web browser will open and you can view your product by clicking on the WebApp button.
This is an interactive, multimedia, digital book. If your device is not multimedia-capable, you will not be able to access this book. Plain-text devices like the older Kindle, the Nook, and Kobo cannot be used to read this book. However, you can read this WebApp on media-enabled devices like the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, as well as: iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, smart phones, Android phones & tablets, Blackberry, and so on.
14. Do you make Android Apps?
Yes. We make and sell these apps outside of the Google Play Store, which creates a savings for the publisher, and hopefully a savings also for the student. We use our own DRM, which means that the keycode used for the local app (PC) can also be used on your tablet.
15. What is Site License and IP Range?
Libraries, schools and database providers will appreciate this option. If full access s required along a fixed IP, that is now possible. This is a terrific solution to the "PDF-only database" which can be easily abused.
16. What is Easy Classroom?
This is a way to provide books across a full classroom, without requiring individual purchase by students, and also without requiring students to sign up with another service. The teacher would buy a "communal pass" for the class, and everyone can access regardless of device. As easy as a classroom can get!
17. Do you make iOS Apps for iPads?
Yes, we can make the same version (as the Android app), and have it available for the iPad (iPhone). However, Apple is very restrictive on how the iPad is used, and what they allow onto your device. Anything for the iPad has to be sold through the Apple Store (iTunes), and Apple requires publishers to pay 30% of the purchase to Apple. Plus, they require a developer account, packaging on only the newest Mac, and they have a very closed vetting process for what is allowed, and not allowed, into the Store. Although we have the files ready to go, many publishers are understandably relunctant to shell out more money, for obviously far less return, just for their book to be local on the iPad.
18. What's the best option for viewing books on a SmartBoard?
In most cases, you will be showing the book on a SmatBoard, or projected, while running through the browser. Some important keystrokes to remember:
fn+f11 will give you Full Screen (removing the browser toolbar)
ctrl+(+ key)(- key) will allow you to fit the book to the screen